Through INGENIO, Milagro seeks to create a space where Latina/o playwrights can develop their plays in a safe, supportive environment with mentors and artists to whom they can relate. INGENIO serves as an intrinsic step in the creation of new full-length theatrical works. Rehearsals and workshops culminate in concert-style readings and feedback sessions with audiences of theatre professionals and members of the public. Playwrights are strongly encouraged to be available to attend in person.
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Submissions are being accepted for INGENIO Milagro 2019, to take place September 15 – 22, 2019. Four plays will be selected, assigned directors and actors, rehearsed, and presented in concert-style readings over three days.
- Open to all Latina/o-identified playwrights
- Original full-length plays, at least 70 minutes and no more than two hours in length
- Plays can be in English, Spanish, or bilingual
- Plays with over eight actors will require doubling; playwrights are asked to provide preferred casting breakdown
- Chamber musicals will be considered
- Published plays and those that have received, or are scheduled to receive, a full professional production are not eligible
- Previously submitted plays that have received rewrites are welcome
- Scripts must be in PDF format and should follow the Dramatist Guild’s of America Traditional or Modern play format. Other than the cover page, the script shall have no identifying information about the playwright.
- Include playwright’s biography (90 words/~580 characters), play synopsis (150 words/~975 characters), and play’s development history, if applicable.
- Submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than May 15, 2019. Selected playwrights will be notified by June 15, 2019.
Galia Backal, Trevor Boffone, Kathleen Kapdesuñer, Miranda Gonzalez, Rebecca Martinez, Jelisa Jay Robinson, Gina Sandi-Diaz
Ingenio /ēn ‘he nē oh/: Spanish for wit, ingenuity; the inventive and creative capacity to create; a sugar cane refinery.